Local Producers develop much of the Program Content distributed by WPAA-TV.
Producers of Community Access TV retain all rights to their Program Content, which is produced content that has met the condition of first distribution. They accept responsibility for production expenses, crew formation, program planning, media production and content. They also accept all liabilities if content disputes arise. Producers are responsible for their crew, talent and guests and all disclosures and releases.
Producers are eligible for production support from WPAA-TV staff and volunteers. However, they are expected to make an effort to learn basic production skills, develop crews, respect the rights of other Users, and follow operational protocol in all communications.
You have a show idea. What comes next?
Getting into the studio is not the same everywhere. Some Community TV locations require that you have a crew of up to four people, others require 2 to 6 weeks of training so that you can handle all aspects of production, others limit support to a simple format.
At WPAA-TV there are a few production styles to choose from, a baseline of support, and a collaborative process to support on-boarding of people new to media making. Our goal is to support your goals as optimally as possible within our limited resources.
The basic steps:
Review basic community TV concepts: Joining a community of media makers, noncommercial copyright free media, 1st come, 1st serve access to resources. This can done by reviewing on-line documents here.
- Make a call or send email to set-up an appointment to review your ideas, the style of show it might fit into and tour the TV station and affirm your eligibility.
- Work out a Program Plan with staff that will document the resources your idea will need, your desired timeline, your prospective show name, style, duration.
- Set-up a time to observe a show currently in production. Recommendation: Watch a locally produced show with similar style on TV or on-line. You can find links to regularly produced programs here. You will be asked what programming you are familiar with.
- Register contact information for ongoing communication. Provide confirmation of eligibility. Connect with the community in social media.
- Develop/select your show assets:
- Music (We have an audio collection you can review or you can select from the here. )
- Show open 10-30 seconds of graphics or video.
- Show close with format for credits, produced at wpaa-tv and disclaimer
- Method for captioning of show called lower 3rds. For example: Talk shows typically identify hosts, guests, show name in a graphic .
- Based on the show style set-up a plan for roll-in of graphics, audio or video
- Design your set. Choose Black, Gray or Green curtain. If green screen select a background image. Choose table, chairs and accessories.
- Schedule a try-out session. During this time it is recommended that you do a 1 to 5 minute description of your show. This can be an asset for your YouTube Channel. The channel can use a wpaa.tv email or be your personal account that you manage.